Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Pink Satin Sheets

I am eagerly counting down the days to Trey's arrival. We are finally at a point where the goons and I can bear to make a count down chain now that the number of links on the chain can easily be draped around our banister rather than wrapped around the national deficit (just kidding).

I have done a number of things to help make the countdown go faster for me, or, I should say, have tried. I always feel that the home stretch is the part of the deployment that crawls by at a snail's pace. So, I have merged two lurking vices in my life to help get me by: my insatiable need to make lists, and the ever present feeling that I will never have enough time to accomplish the tasks on my said lists. With a list (one thing for each day we have left of deployment), it is a sure bet that I will complain and find that there is really NOT enough time before Trey's arrival to put a check in every item's little "done" box. So, I win either way.

Many components of my list are goals and tasks to get the house back to 'Trey ready' status: get my clothes off his side of the closet, remember the bathroom will need to be shared upon his return so get my crap out of his drawer space, clean out garage, tackle household filing and shredding, stock refrigerator, blah, blah, blah. . .

Nearing the end of my list construction, there was one item I knew I needed to add but literally I started to mist over at the thought; I really really really want my husband back, but I don't want to take my pink satin sheets off our bed. Yes, I bought my pink satin sheets the day that Trey left for deployment. It was something special and symbolic to me of carrying on by myself. An indulgence of pure girlishness. A luxury that comforted me on those nights I fell into bed exhausted and frustrated. No matter how difficult the day, I could look forward to the welcome of my soft pale pink heaven to help make me face another day. I will happily divulge my sheet secret to any other military wife who may ask for a deployment survival tip.

Yet, I know I must say goodbye to my sheets before Trey returns. In a way, I think I may have a hard time sharing them with him, ever. Difficult to put into words, but they are one thing that was just mine during his absence. Is this selfish? Doesn't really matter. Even if I kept them on, I have a funny feeling that Trey would make a, albeit cute and missed, scrunchy face that would permeate, "I love you but I am not that comfortable with my masculinity to sleep on these way too girlie sheets".

So, Item #50: Remove lovely pink sheets from bed. Wash, and store for next deployment.

Seems silly, but they will be missed.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Cute story! I still say writing is a real talent of yours! I'd really like to make it up there before Trey gets back (not that I don't want to see him). I was aiming for June then surgery was in March, recovery in April, New Mexico in May now Portugal in June. Where does the time go? Please send some weekends you might be available.
Hang in there and the count down is on!!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Love the pink sheet tip and will save that for future use. I laughed and remembered all too well the many lists I made for myself in that countdown phase...many also started with similar make space for Adam. So happy to hear you are close enough to make a reasonable sized paper chain. Hoping the days fly by and that your reunion is a very sweet one. You have done a great job during this deployment...why don't military spouses get medals after deployments? Don't you think they should? :)