Thursday, September 13, 2007

Resolutions

I started this year out with a definite plan to do more for myself. I am not denying the importance of selfless giving in my plan, but I am hoping to establish a firmer grip on my own self-identity.

As September rolls around, I realize that I have not done too much to help move forward in this self-acutalization process. I seem to let the normal worries of life immobilize me into inactivity and a bit of self-pity.

I will not be a slave to my own weaknesses. I will live the life I have been given.

I Need To:

*Paint again - truly paint. for myself and no one else. not for aesthetics, for inner peace
*Let my children be who they are- i am here to guide, not mold
*Write, write and write some more - life is too short not to record the beautiful words of our soul
*Go see "A Prarie Home Companion" live - i have been saying it for years, do it!
*Sit outside and watch the stars - take the important and poingant memories from my own childhood and pass them on.
*Oral tradition is not lost - tell stories, lots of them...to my children and anyone willing to listen, so that they too will remember
* Kill our television - this will be hard as college football season has started
* Fall asleep holding hands with my husband more often if not all the time

So, I am off to the store to buy a canvas and some paint. I think I will be able to find my old brushes somewhere in my menagerie of crap (as my dad so lovingly puts it).

Live your life. No one can do it for you.

3 comments:

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

I like your resolutions. I met Garrison Keillor after seeing one his shows (I think I was about 12 years old) and it was truly a memorable experience. Doesn't he have one of the best story telling voices?

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

I'll have to remember that phrase "menagerie of crap"...it's a good one and very applicable to several of my closets.

Weasel said...

Lucia- I am in love with Garrison Keillor! Everytime I hear him I am instantly warmed from my head to my toes. Listening to good 'fireside chat' radio makes me feel connected to a time and way of life that I think may be slowly dissapearing.

I swear, I need to sit down with you and get you to tell me your life's story. I am awed by all that you have done, experienced, and accomplished.

As far as the phrases...my dad, fortunately, has a million of them. Some are actually less colorful, and others are not fit for publication of any form.