Saturday, May 10, 2008

Good Times

Last night our neighbors threw a going away party for our family and another on our street that are moving out of the area this summer. It was lovely...

The children playing out in the street under the stars believeing that the adults are none the wiser as they sneak up to steal more cookies from the dessert table.

The adults sat in thier circle chatting about life's events while laughing and comiserating about life's challenges.

I am not sure if we will ever live in such a family friendly atmosphere again and this makes me sad.

I never seem to appreciate the place where we live until we find ourselves packing up to leave. I really need to work on this.

Anyway...to wax poetic a bit:

The other family re-locating this summer was not able to attend last night as they needed to return to Missouri to attend to family business that comes from the passing of a loved one. I missed them at our little gathering.

As I sat taking a brief glimpse at the strikingly clear almost summer night, I was taken in by the brightness of the stars which made me think of the Native American belief that our loved ones' souls leave this earth to inhabit the sky and stars.

It is comforting to think of your loved ones always there looking down on you in the form of a star. It certainly makes wishes upon stars a little more meaningful.

Recently, we have been surrounded by a myriad of friends that are struggling with family illnesses and family loss. We have spent many nights discussing/praying/thinking about and for these friends to find the strength and peace they need.

Human suffering is universal and touches us all at some time or another. It seems to me, it is what we do for one another during those times that can really make the difference in our world and helps me to get closer to an answer to the age old question: Are we basically good or evil? I believe in the good.

What I hope to take away from all of this is that we need each other not just in the bad times but also in the good times, and I will try and enjoy the good times as they happen.

No comments: