Thursday, May 15, 2008

What I won't miss....



Okay! I love the middle ground of almost any discussion. So, yesterday I thought about those things I will miss once we leave our current homestead, and today I will highlight those things to which I can't wait to wave good-bye.

One word.

ROADKILL.

Here in Florida there seems to be more roadkill than all the other places I have lived combined. I don't think that my issues are just wrapped up in the quantity of the roadkill, but also with the variety of the roadkill. Well, I am here to report that the most disgusting and horribly traumatizing roadkill of all the varietal is that of the armadillo. By the way, Florida is not lacking in armadillos which equals to abundant car targets.

There is something about seeing that cracked shell that brings on the shivers. Not only do I shudder to look at the remains, but I also can't help of thinking of the time of impact. You know the drivers of the cars that hit these animals MUST hear a distinctive noise as they pass over these armored victims. Based on my scientific count of armadillo roadkill, the sound probably haunts at least 60 million drivers.

I also won't miss my oldest goon re-living the mornings roadkill count with the other boys at school who seem equally fascinated with the gore.

PS: Don't you dare write me a nasty post about the picture..and humane rights for animals. I love animals. I just don't love them dead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I remember about Florida is that it seemed that all hitch hikers toted suitcases. Not duffel bags, trash bags or grocery bags --SUITCASES. Is that still true?
As far as road kill, Northern Virginia highways and byways are now littered with the carcasses of the majestic deer population.
Very sad.
And the enthusiasm in which your goon one and his gang get out of comparing carcass counts -- if you find what the facination is, please pass the info onto me. I'm thinking its a male thing. His Great Uncle Jim has been heard in similar situations shouting,
"WOW, did you see THAT....cool!"