Saturday, May 3, 2008

Summer Magic Weaving Through the Willows

I had a wonderful date tonight. My wonderful date was with a tall, dark, and thoughtful male. He is sensitive and strong and extremely clever. Can you guess? No, not Boomer. My date was with my dimpled goon, Cole.

Trey was on call, so Cole and I planned to stay up late together and watch a movie. We got Jack to bed complete with a night-time serenade from Cole. I am not sure what the song was but it resembled the melody of the "Mexican Hat Dance". Whatever...it worked. Jack was happy and quiet in his room, so Cole and I set out to find our movie.

Cole and I decided to watch a movie that was a favorite of mine when me and my sister were little girls: 'Summer Magic' starring Haley Mills and Burl Ives. My sister and I were Haley Mills wannabees. We pink and purple puffy heart loved the old timey, fun loving, music filled movies in which she found her niche: The Parent Trap (the original not the one with the pre-tormented young Lindsay Lohan), In Search of the Castaways, Moonspinners, Summer Magic, That Darn Cat. Anyway you cut it, we thought Haley Mills was the bees' knees.

Yes, we were brainwashed...by my mother. She too used to love Haley Mills, so in addition to making us watch horribly cheesey AMC movies like The Enchanted Cottage we were exposed at a young age to the small collection of movies starring Haley Mills. We used to sing her songs in full regalia in front of our extended family members. I even believe there was some intricate choreography involved (Bris, correct me if I am wrong... and if I am wrong, I know you will have no problem in setting me straight).

Anyway, I was so excited that I was going to get to share my very girly movie with my goon. I don't get to do these things that often, so I jumped at the chance to have a little estrogen influenced bonding. Well, he sat through the first 20 minutes pretty well and then looked at me puzzled and said, "Mommy, you didn't tell me that this was another olden day movie. Can I get my Legos?". So, Cole built Lego houses and I watched my movie. This particular movie sends me back to summer nights in Hawaii when my sister and I used to curl up on on the mama-san chairs, sing the songs at the top of our lungs, and munch on beef jerky and oriental crackers.
It wasn't the same without my sister.

As I sat missing my sister, I started to look forward to the relationship that I can see developing between my boys. They are finally starting to truly play and enjoy each other. I pray that they find the same type of love and friendship that I have with my sister because they too will move every two to four years, and they too will find solace with those transitions in each other.

I am so excited that at the end of my upcoming transition from Florida to Virginia will find me home with my titta.

All Pau!

PS: Mom did you realize that Dorothy Maguire is in both The Enchanted Cottage and Summer Magic? Weird!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!
Summer Magic is a Gough sister favorite, as well!
Ugly Bug Ball
Pink of Perfection
Beulah Land, So Beautiful
Femininity
Flitterin'
Can't remember any of the others, but if you started singing them, I would join in! Thanks for shaking the dust out of my memory bank!