Sunday, March 16, 2008

Children's Poet Laureate



I didn't know. I had no idea. We have a National Children's Poet Laureate: Jack Prelutsky. We checked out his most recent book, The Wizard, from the library last week and finally got around to reading it last night. We loved it. The illustrations were phenomenal, and the subject and prose was thought provoking for not only my child but for the adults within earshot of our nightly beatnik session.

The front of the book has one of those beautiful gold round stickers slapped on the front. You know the one, the one that every poet would love to have grace the front of thier own work. When I examined the words on the sticker it was announcing the author as the first ever National Children's Poet Laureate. What a wonderful idea!!!

It is a two year term, so his term is up in late 2008. I think I may submit my homage to Dr. Suess to see if I stand a chance.

Here is the link to more info on the poetry foundation.

No comments: