Saturday, March 22, 2008

Love the Eggs...Hate the Bunny.



Today was our neighborhood's annual Easter Egg Scramble. Egg Hunts have come a long way from the actual hunt. Now they rope off a large square, throw a bunch eggs into the middle, and shout "Go!" to the kids waiting around the perimeter of the square biting their fingers, screaming, and kicking to get in to grab some precious eggs. It definitely cuts down the drama of seeing those tearful kids that never found many hidden eggs while some eagle-eyed kid walked by with a basket brimming with goodies.

Anyway, both the boys loved running for the eggs. Each goon fell into a predictable behavior pattern. Cole triple checked his age group's square after the hunt was over just "to make sure that one wasn't left behind". Jack picked up and shared just as many eggs as went into his basket...while his father quietly urged him to chuck them across the field. (And I wonder where some of my issues come from...)

The funniest moment was when the giant bunny came up to my family for pictures. Cole seems to have known from birth that there is a person inside the costume and so the giant and colorful bunnies never bothered him. He saunters right on up, poses, high fives the rabbit/impostor, gets the required family picture and then happily leaves. However, Jack didn't want anything to do with this crazy looking polka-dot bow tie wearing thing that waves but doesn't talk. As the bunny knelt down to try and make Jack feel more comfortable, Jack stuck both of his sticky dirty hands right in the bunny's air hole. Needless to say, the bunny felt a bit molested, but graciously posed for a picture with Jack. Both the bunny and Jack kept their eyes on me the whole time just to make sure I wasn't going anywhere. I was able to snap some shots, and now I have an Easter photo with Jack, the bunny, and some random buxom blond chick because Jack chose to stand as far from the bunny as possible.





At the end of the hunt, all the bunnies were hanging around (there were 3 to accommodate all the family photos) just talking some good old bunny talk. Jack thought this was a good time to make up with his bunny. He kept inching closer to get a better look while the bunnies where occupied amongst themselves. He would get close enough to grab a fluffy white tale and then run like heck in the opposite direction. It was great!

This is a genetic trait. I hated the dressed up Easter Bunny when I was a child too. My parents still have a Polaroid with a very suspicious me sitting on some stranger's lap who was wearing a giant bunny head that of which you could look into the mouth and see the entire face of the person within. It really warped my views on the big ginormous bunny that comes to your house to leave you a basket full of eggs.

PS: I hate these plastic eggs. They seem to multiply every year just like little rabbits.

1 comment:

bmbooshay said...

The whole thing about being scared of the fake easter bunny is definatley a genetic trait. I'm an older sister, and I can relate to Cole. It is just a dressed up silly person. My younger sister reacted just like your Jack. She was a bit disturbed by the Weird looking bunny-man. My grandmother always reminded my mother of her strange fear of people dressed up as bunnies. Maybe it is a culture thing. What makes a giant pale pink or other pale random colored bunny appealing to children? I personally don't think I'll ever understand, HAPPY EASTER!