Monday, March 17, 2008

Time Flies



Jack turns two tomorrow and I realize that my baby is no longer a baby. Today, Cole proudly showed me his first loose tooth. At the end of the week, Trey and I will celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary and our 17th year together. I guess what I am trying to illustrate is that time moves on whether we want it to or not, and it moves so much more quickly than I ever thought possible.

To me, time presents a difficult struggle. On one hand, I am overjoyed at the new things that each tomorrow brings, and I am constantly looking toward the future. On the other hand, I find myself brooding on whether I have made the most out of each yesterday. Recalling the details of distant memories is becoming more difficult, and I disregard the details of recent yesterdays to try and make room for getting through today.

So, today I just sat down and thought about taking time to "smell the roses" and spending more of my time imprinting the everyday memories. It is one lesson I hope that I can teach my children so they will enjoy every day, look forward to every tomorrow, and remember each yesterday with fondness instead of regret.

Forget the fact that the passing of time makes itself most obviously evident when I look in the mirror each day. Holy gray hair, Batman!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Nish-- he doesn't even look like a baby anymore. Such a sweet little boy. I think he looks like you in this picture. A loose tooth how did that happen. I'm already getting sad that O will be 5 in May. He got in my bed this morning to be my "snugglepuss" and I found myself looking at him sleeping like I did when he was a baby. Life does go fast but it gives us so much to celebrate. Happy Happy birthday to Jack! It's his birthday already over here. :)

Weasel said...

Isn't it crazy! I peeked at your blog this morning only to see Alison all grown up too. I love the mud and chocolate pictures. Give her a hug (and a love nip from Jack).

Cole got his letter from Owen yesterday and was very excited. Expect something coming your way with some monster trucks drawn on them...Hey, it's not poop.